I have been wanting to recreate some classic arcade and Atari games in the Godot Engine for some time. Today I started that process with a game I played a lot on my Atari 2600 back in the day. Berzerk is just a simple shoot the robots and run game from 1980, so my recreation should be pretty much the same, except updated.
Today was mainly just getting a character on the screen and the project built out, I added a bunch of stuff for me todo to finish.
You can check out the source code repo here:
- Copied most of the project source from the EtherDasher code base
- Removed EtherDasher gameplay and mechanics that were unneeded
- Added a player weapon [SpikeBall]
- Replaced some sounds
- Created a base Robot
Things To Do
- Procedural generation of levels - Add EvilOtto timer - Change to larger screensize - Figure out game mechanics - Add bonus for destroying all robots - Change levels re-runs level generation - Rework HUD to more like original Berzerk game - Find a old school font
- Change out to better player character - Figure out how to shoot lazers in cardinal directions
- Spawn nicely to NOT kill player on game start - Spawn more robots on level up - Fix hurt() to play sound and aninmation - Create a sprite and animations - Create a fricken lazer - Get a lazer sound - Script to follow and shoot player with lazers - Maybe a ray cast to detect player then shoot? - Script to randomly play taunts
SpikeBall -> FrickenLazers
- Turn into a fricken lazer [sprite/shader] - Get a lazer sound
- Start to create it - Figure out how to bounce? - Animation player with squash? - Script to follow player - Maybe a ray cast to detect player then set velocity and direction? - Script to randomly play taunts